Portumna Golf Club was
founded in 1913 on land directly across the road from the
entrance to the present course. In 1934 the move was made to
the present location on land rented from the Clanrickard
Estate. The new course was designed then by Michael O'Keeffe,
B.E. and was opened by Mons. Joyce on June 30th 1935. In
1935 also a new pavilion was constructed mostly of timber
supplied free of charge by McAinish & Co. and a new bar and
modern toilet facilities were added later.
In 1956 a ninety-nine year lease was secured on the land. In
1971 a new clubhouse was opened and a further thirty acres
was added to the lease in 1972 with a view to extending the
course to 18 holes. Work on the new course began in the mid
eighties and culminated in the official opening of the first
eighteen hole course on June 21st 1992.
In 1993 the club availed of an opportunity to purchase the
course from Coillte.
The eighty-eight acres on the 99 year lease plus 38 other
acres were secured for £90,000.
In 1997 the existing clubhouse was extended and refurbished
to provide modern facilities for a rapidly expanding club
membership. Subsequent alterations and addition to the
course has resulted in the fine facility that we now enjoy.