Browse by Categories
  Home
  Towns / Villages
  Accommodation
  Arts / Crafts
  Attractions
  Business Directory
  Classifieds
  Education
  Employment
  Entertainment
  Festivals
  Genealogy
  Heritage
  Industry
  Leisure Activities
  Links
  Maps
  News
  Photo Gallery
  Political
  Property
  Restaurants
  Shopping
  Sporting
  Tourism
  Travel
  Weather
  What’s on
Portumna Castle County Galway Ireland
Home Advertise Contact Us

Accommodation  ~ Hotels  ~ B&B  ~ Self Catering  ~ Hostels  ~ Restaurants 
Property  ~  Business Listings  ~  Attractions  ~  Activities  ~  Maps
 
   

Portumna Castle  ~  Portumna
 
 
The great semi-fortified house at Portumna was built before 1618 by Richard Burke or de Burgo, 4th Earl of Clanricarde. It was the main seat of the de Burgo family for over 200 years, until it was gutted by fire in 1826. The ground floor of the house is now open to the public. To the north of the house are formal, geometrically laid out gardens.
 
Portumna Castle County Galway Ireland
Portumna Castle now includes the recently restored 17th century walled kitchen garden. Following its original plan the garden has been organically planted with fruit trees, flowers, herbs and vegetables, all combining to make it a treat to the senses. Portumna Castle is surrounded by the towns' local attractions - Lough Derg and the Forest Park.

The immense structure is built in a rectangular block with a tower on each corner, and firing holes for those who might have to defend the castle can still be seen in each of the towers. It was the Irish home to the de Burgo family for over 200 years until it was destroyed by fire in 1828. The castles surrounding woods and parklands were taken over in 1948 by the Forestry Service and are now a wildlife sanctuary. Conservation and restoration on the building and immediate grounds began when they were acquired by the Office of Public Works in 1968. It has continued under Duchas The Heritage Service. Restoration work on the castle is ongoing with the first floor of the three-floor building open to the public. Exhibitions on the ground floor tell the history of the castle and of the de Burgo family. The extensive walled 17th century kitchen garden and the formal gardens have been completely restored and are open to the public. Located within the precinct of the castle, there are also ruins of a Dominican Friary built circa. 1425 and destroyed in 1540.

See more Castles in County Galway

 

 
Towns & Localities in County Galway

 Aran Islands | Athenry | Ballinasloe | Ballygar | Barna | Carna | Carraroe | Claregalway | Clarinbridge | Clifden | Clonbur | Corofin
Connemara | Corrandulla | Dunmore | Galway City | Glenamaddy | Gort | Headford | Kinvara | Leenane | Loughrea | Milltown | Monivea
 Mountbellew | Moycullen | Oranmore | Oughterard | Portumna | Renvyle | Salthill | Spiddal | Tuam | Turloughmore | Williamstown
 

home | towns | accommodation | B&B | hotels | self catering | arts | attractions | business | education | wap
employment | entertainment | festivals | genealogy | heritage | industry | leisure | links | maps | news | gallery
 political | property | restaurants | shopping | sporting | tourism | travel | weather | what's on | advertise | contact

Website designed by Western-Webs, Tuam County Galway Ireland 

©2007 County Galway Guide, all rights reserved